Infrastructure (DevOps) Engineer, Gumband - (Pittsburgh or Remote)
Deeplocal is hiring an Infrastructure (DevOps) Engineer for its new SaaS platform, Gumband.
Spun out of an award-winning creative technology agency, Gumband is the first operating system for interactive environments and experiences. We work with innovative brands to connect, elevate, and humanize their physical spaces. In 2021, the product was launched and obtained backing from WPP’s Product Innovation Board.
This role presents a unique opportunity to join a fully-backed SaaS startup and grow within the organization as it scales. We are creating a category and looking for individuals with a desire to operate as innovators in an emerging global marketplace. Because the product was originally created at Deeplocal, Gumband team members will also have the benefit of tapping into Deeplocal’s expertise as an interactive experience developer for some of the world’s top brands, including Google, Meta, TikTok, Stripe, and others.
The Infrastructure (DevOps) Engineer is accountable for monitoring and managing cloud-based and on-prem infrastructure, maintaining CI/CD pipelines, and orchestrating the Gumband software release lifecycle across dev, testing, and production environments. This position reports to the Senior Infrastructure & Data Lead on the Product Engineering Team.
- Manage and further product infrastructure architecture including the deployment strategy, high-volume HTTP services, orchestration of containerized workloads, and distributed databases with automation tools
- Manage, upgrade, and debug CI/CD pipelines on top of cloud services
- Test and facilitate infrastructure-related product updates with the development team
- Monitor global product infrastructure for across cloud and on-prem deployments
- Utilize and extend infrastructure tooling including Elastic Cloud as a platform for developer and business intelligence insights (ie. application logs for devs, latency and user metrics, health dashboards for environments)
- Consider and apply security best practices within the relevant domains
- Interface with customers to support Gumband deployments
- Maintain product infrastructure documentation
- Constantly learn and keep current with industry trends to surface new ideas and inform the team
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or a related technical field and/or 2-4+ years working of practical, hands-on experience in the field
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux (headless) operating systems, shell scripting, Git, Python
- Strong understanding of web application concepts and infrastructure (TCP/IP and UDP protocols, HTTP server codes, RESTful services, nginx and web ingress)
- Experience managing cloud infrastructure (AWS or GCP) or the following technologies: compute resources, container orchestration (Kubernetes, Docker), databases (PostgreSQL), caching or other Pub/Sub tools (Redis), automation (ie. Ansible, Puppet)
- Ability to debug issues related to web applications, network connections, infrastructure routing
- Ability to analyze usage data to provide key insights about Gumband
- Comfortable handling challenging problems and working towards a systematic solution
- Creative thinker and problem solver; flexible and adaptable; takes ownership of problems and their solutions
This position is open to remote candidates outside of Pittsburgh, PA, but candidates must be willing to travel to Pittsburgh and/or client locations as required for engineering and support efforts. Travel is not expected to exceed 10% for this position (~two to three times/year).
Deeplocal COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
Based upon its strong commitment to the health, wellbeing and safety of its employees and their families, its clients, and the communities where it lives and works, Deeplocal has instituted a COVID-19 vaccine mandate and other COVID-19 related protocols, subject to any and all applicable state or local laws. Of course, our policies, procedures, and protocols are subject to change as conditions evolve. If an employment offer is made to you, you will be given a full opportunity to advise us if at that time you believe that you need to be excused from any specific requirements (including a vaccine mandate, if in place at that time) and Deeplocal will interact with you to fully understand, evaluate, and respond to any request for an accommodation, in strict accordance with all applicable laws.
Gumband is a first-of-its-kind operating system for interactive environments, including customer experience centers, retail spaces, and museums. This cloud-based software tool with optional hardware helps developers and operators manage all parts of their interactive environment on one platform. Gumband includes a web application with user-friendly dashboard as well as a REST API, SDKs, microcontroller-based hardware, firmware libraries, and the supporting documentation to power exhibits. As both a development platform for exhibit builders and a management tool for operators, Gumband is designed to be customized for each unique environment. Gumband has powered interactives for world-class brands including Nike, Google, and the NFL.
Deeplocal is a quickly growing, internationally-recognized, innovation studio based in Pittsburgh, PA. Deeplocal’s team of 60+ includes experts in marketing, engineering, design, and fabrication who collaborate to develop never-seen-before physical experiences for brand clients. Our studio is located in a renovated brewery loft space in Sharpsburg, PA—just outside of Pittsburgh and within a few minutes of Lawrenceville.
Deeplocal has been named one of the Best Places to Work in Western Pennsylvania and has received numerous awards in advertising and design. Deeplocal’s work has been featured on Fast Company, Wired, NYTimes, USA Today, the Today Show, Good Morning America, Gizmodo, Engadget, Forbes, and many more.
Invent products and experiences for innovative brands.
To be a place where amazing talent can invent, create, and inspire.
Our Core Values
- Competitive and comprehensive health care coverage
- Flexible retirement plan with employer matching
- Paid vacation time and winter break
- Profit sharing
- Flexible work opportunities
- Family and pet friendly policies
- Fitness and public transportation subsidies
- Community service flex time