Embedded Systems Engineer, Gumband – Remote or Pgh-local
- Full Time
- Mid Level
Deeplocal is hiring an Embedded Systems Engineer for its new SaaS platform, Gumband.
Spun out of an award-winning creative technology agency, Gumband is the first operating system for interactive environments and experiences. We work with innovative brands to connect, elevate, and humanize their physical spaces. In 2021, the product was launched and obtained backing from WPP’s Product Innovation Board.
This role presents a unique opportunity to join a fully-backed SaaS startup and grow within the organization as it scales. We are creating a category and looking for individuals with a desire to operate as innovators in an emerging global marketplace. Because the product was originally created at Deeplocal, Gumband team members will also have the benefit of tapping into Deeplocal’s expertise as an interactive experience developer for some of the world’s top brands, including Google, Meta, TikTok, and others.
The Embedded Systems Engineer is accountable for supporting and expanding the capabilities of the Gumband hardware, working between software and hardware teams to continuously deploy and improve product firmware. This position reports to the Lead Electrical Engineer and sits on the Product Engineering Team.
- Maintain the hardware and related services for an interactive IoT product
- Act as the go-to person for issues and questions related to hardware and services
- Integrate with hardware design efforts, contributing where possible
- Maintain and support existing firmware
- Maintain and update firmware documentation
- Develop new firmware
- Recommend paths for the improvement of existing capabilities and debugging
- Align hardware services with client compliance checklists and speak to compliance in response to associated security reviews
- Collaborate with the infrastructure and support teams to push bug fixes, security updates, and other deployment-related code changes
- Willingness to train others
- Support hardware services within an SDK to maintain integration, or liaise with others on the engineering team to ensure that integration is well maintained
- Interface with customers to support Gumband implementations
- Update public-facing developer documentation and platform changelogs
- Constantly learn and keep current with industry trends to surface new ideas and inform the team
- Bachelor’s degree in CE, EE or a related technical field involving embedded systems engineering and/or 2-4 years working of practical, hands-on experience in the field
- Proficiency with IoT technology, microcontrollers, and hardware peripherals
- Proficiency with embedded C, C++, RTOS
- Familiarity with Wireshark
- Familiarity with TLS
- Ability to debug issues related to hardware services, web sockets, and network connections and generate clear, robust solutions
- Ability to analyze usage data to provide key insights about Gumband
- Comfortable handling challenging problems and working towards a systematic solution
- Creative thinker and problem solver; flexible and adaptable; takes ownership of problems and their solutions
- Excited by the idea of creating a first-of-its kind platform for controlling digital and analog spaces
This position is open to remote candidates outside of Pittsburgh, PA, but candidates must be willing to travel to Pittsburgh and/or client locations as required for engineering and support efforts. Travel time is expected to be approximately 10%.
Gumband is a first-of-its-kind IoT platform for interactive environments. This cloud-based software tool helps developers and operators manage all parts of their interactive environment on one platform. Gumband includes a web application with user-friendly dashboard as well as SDKs, firmware libraries, and optional hardware to power exhibits. As both a development platform and a management tool, Gumband is designed for brand builders, operators, and creative developers who are collaborating to bring interactive experiences to branded environments.
Deeplocal is a quickly growing, internationally-recognized, innovation studio based in Pittsburgh, PA. Deeplocal’s team of 60+ includes experts in marketing, engineering, design, and fabrication who collaborate to develop never-seen-before physical experiences for brand clients. Our studio is located in a renovated brewery loft space in Sharpsburg, PA—just outside of Pittsburgh and within a few minutes of Lawrenceville.
Deeplocal has been named one of the Best Places to Work in Western Pennsylvania and has received numerous awards in advertising and design. Deeplocal’s work has been featured on Fast Company, Wired, NYTimes, USA Today, the Today Show, Good Morning America, Gizmodo, Engadget, Forbes, and many more.
Invent products and experiences for innovative brands.
To be a place where amazing talent can invent, create, and inspire.
Our Core Values
- Competitive and comprehensive health care coverage
- Flexible retirement plan with employer matching
- Paid vacation time and winter break
- Profit sharing
- Flexible work opportunities
- Family and pet friendly policies
- Fitness and public transportation subsidies
- Community service flex time
Deeplocal COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
Based upon its strong commitment to the health, wellbeing and safety of its employees and their families, its clients, and the communities where it lives and works, Deeplocal has instituted a COVID-19 vaccine mandate and other COVID-19 related protocols, subject to any and all applicable state or local laws. Of course, our policies, procedures, and protocols are subject to change as conditions evolve. If an employment offer is made to you, you will be given a full opportunity to advise us if at that time you believe that you need to be excused from any specific requirements (including a vaccine mandate, if in place at that time) and Deeplocal will interact with you to fully understand, evaluate, and respond to any request for an accommodation, in strict accordance with all applicable laws.